Sunday, September 6, 2015

Educ 6165 Week 1 Blog Post- My Competent Communicator by Neketha Polley


 
My Competent Communicator...
 
My Dad has always been a great communicator who demonstrates competent communication.  My dad reads a lot to stay current on all the latest happenings around the world and foreign communication.  He majored in history in college.  He is a very good listener that always has an optimistic view on things.  My dad always goes the extra mile to help others. My dad has always taught me that listening is the most important part of communicating because you learn a lot when you listen to others.  I would love to model some of my own communication behaviors after my dad.  He believes that everyone should have a voice even if those voices do not always agree or say the same thing. He believes that communication is letting your voice be heard.  He often tells me this when dealing with my own son.  My son, like many children, talks to no end.  Often times at the end of a long day of work, it is just too much talking and I always say would you please stop talking. My dad will always tell me when he is visiting us, “let him talk until he gets out everything that he wants to say; let him get his point out”.  He will continue to let me know, just because he is little doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have anything to say; his voice should be heard. This sticks with me daily when communicating with other children; especially my own son. Therefore, I would love to model my dad’s communication skills because he is patient, open-minded, color-blind, and un-bias when communicating with others. My dad is a calm, loving, respectable, hardworking individual with great communication skills and I love him for teaching me all that I know including how to communicate with others.
Neketha Polley

1 comment:

  1. Neketha,
    I loved the information you shared about your dad being a great communicator. I can relate to you my mother is the same way when it comes to communication and keeping up with the latest news in the world today. She has always taught me how to communicate effectively. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete