Saturday, September 19, 2015

Thinking About Cultural Diversity- Educ 6165 Wk3







Thinking about the cultural diversity I see in my colleagues, in my neighborhood, in my workplace, and also, possibly, within my family, I have considered all the aspects that make up culture, including race, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, varying abilities, and so on and I used to find myself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures.  I used to be whatever environment that I was in.  Then, after going through a divorce and teaching my son to be “his own kind of wonderful”, “always love himself first”, and “Don’t let others define you”, I discovered my own kind of beautiful and realized that all the different groups and cultures I am affiliated with were not a part of my life because of my skin color but because, I  did not see their color; because I had a heart full of love and compassion for others.

Prior to becoming my own kind of beautiful, I used to change my voice when talking individuals or my persona, for example, when I was with my colleagues and family, I was cool, calm, collective, poised, and used proper grammar. Meanwhile, when I was with my husband, his family and friends, I would talk loud, utilize slang, and work hard to proof to them that I was “black, proud, rough and tuff”.  However, being a black American does not mean that you cannot be educated, tough, determined, well poised, speak correct grammar, be involved in and aware of political issues, and etc…  Thus, my ex-husband was blinded by all of these viewpoints and I worked hard my entire marriage to be all that he wanted me to be even though that “me” was not “me” and the “me” that I was raised to be and enjoy being in life. No matter what your culture, nationality, religion, size, height, color, and etc… love yourself first and the skin you’re in!




 

1 comment:

  1. Neketha,
    You posted some touching information about your family. I can relate to you, I will share I have a diverse family and we see no color. My mother has always taught me that if you have to change for someone than it is not genuine. So, I can continue to have a positive mind in what ever you do....
    Great Post again!!!

    ReplyDelete