Saturday, September 12, 2015

EDUC 6165 Wk2 - Communication continued...


     How I Met Your Mother
 
Over the course of the last two weeks we have focused on communication.  This week, we were asked to focus on various forms of non-verbal communication and how we as individuals, Educators, Children and Families are impacted by non- verbal communication.  Thus, for this week’s assignment, we were asked to focus on non-verbal communication by selecting a television show that we normally do not watch and record that show and watch it two times; first, without sound and next with sound. The television show that I selected was “How I Met Your Mother".

I watched this movie without sound and from just the images and facial expressions, it appeared to be a group of friends and siblings thinking back on how their mom and dad met.  Based on the non- verbal communication, it appeared that the group of individuals were have a blast; it looked like a modern day “friends” series. I then watched it with sound and discovered that my assumption was far-fetched. After watching the television show with sound, I watched the remainder of the first two seasons and then researched it to discover that it is based on the thoughts of one of the gentleman flashing back and expressing to his child the true story of how he met and fell in love with the child’s mom; the other cast members were just a part of the journey and reflections leading up to the marriage of the man’s wife.  I believe that my assumptions would have been more accurate if I had been watching a show that I knew well.

No comments:

Post a Comment