Saturday, January 17, 2015

Relationship Reflections


Relationship Reflection


Me and my son
  

I believe that relationships/partnerships are important because they help mold you into who you are. I also believe that these same relationships/partnerships can guide, protect, comfort and encourage you in life. Several individuals that I have relationships/partnerships with are my sister, my mom and dad, my brother-in-law, my cousin, my ex-sister in law, my ex-husband, my son’s kindergarten teacher, his school principal, school secretary, and other school administrators, my neighbors, my son’s friends and their parents, my son’s basketball team and their parents. 

my son and his school basketball team
my son and Alex (our neighbor)


 All of the individuals with whom I have relationships/partnerships are all positive.  The most important factors that contributed to developing and maintaining each relationship was respect and honesty. It is also said that, “Trust grows out of sharing of knowledge by families and teachers, about childrearing” (Lopez, 2010).  Understanding your own bias is critical to developing effective partnerships because it helps you to understand what challenges are ahead. “Being family-centered, however, involves transformational change” (Lopez, 2010).             
my mom, my son, my sister, and me
my dad and son
When founding each of the individual relationships/partnerships, I expressed at the start that as an adult, I did not have to agree with the other person’s thoughts or beliefs.  However, I did need to respect them.  I expressed that since we were all created equally but differently, there would be times that we would not all agree but, if we all remained open minded and respected each other as adults, we could all accomplish the common goal of helping one another be a positive impact in each other’s lives and assisting with raising my five year old son to be a proud leader at school and in his community.  Thus, I have always expressed my feelings openly and worked hard to be a good listener
to other people’s thoughts.
As for the relationships/partnerships that I have developed with my son’s teachers and school administrators; I established them in 2012 when he started the school’s prek-3 program. Upon enrolling my son in his school’s pre K-3 program, while at meet the teacher night, I expressed to the teacher and all the administrative staff that I met, that my son was the only child that I had and as a parent, I was serious about his education and achievements and that I wanted them to know that I was not just a parent, I was their partner who wanted to help them help my son be the best that he could be.  Therefore, if there were any obstacles that needed to be addressed, I wanted them to no hesitate to contact me, his dad, or any family member that was listed on his emergency contact sheet.  To this day, I continue to reach out to the teacher and any staff at his school to let them know I and the rest of my son’s immediate family are always willing to volunteer, fundraise, or address any and all disciplinary needs(if necessary).  Also, every year at the start of school, I express to the teacher with my son present, that by no means do we (his father and I) encourage him to be disrespectful or to play during school because he goes to school to learn.  The teachers and administrators continually thank me for my efforts to partner with them for the best outcome for my son (I have always been taught that learning and behavior starts at home) because, I believe that it is not just the teacher or schools responsibility to teach my son. Research suggests, “Engagement in early childhood lays a solid foundation for family involvement as children move through the school system, supporting student achievement every step of the way” (Lopez, 2010).
my ex-husband doing homework with our son
My ex-husband plays a great role in the partnership by expressing to my son the importance of listening to grown-ups and being respectful. My ex-husband is the disciplinarian in the partnership.  The other family members that I listed are the caregivers and cheerleaders in the partnership.  They assist with volunteering at my sons school events, baby sitting, making sure that I get some me time, and encouraging me to continue with my educational goals when my normal mommy, parent, PTA, community, work, and household tasks seem to be time consuming.  I love my partners.  My relationships/partnerships, including my ability to be ab active, reflective contributor, impact my work as an effective early childhood professional by reminding me that because the child’s home live tremendously impacts the child’s ability to learn and thrive that no matter what the relationship (especially with ex-husbands and ex-wives, step-moms and step dads) it is better to agree to be cordial and respectful and form a unity for the best impact of the child. Thus, I would like to continue to empower blended families to communicate with one another and participate in all aspects of the child /ren learning.

 
my cousin and my son
 

my sister and my son
 
References:

Lopez, M. (2010). Valuing families as partners. Retrieved from http://www.hfrp.org/publications-resources/browse-our-publications/valuing-families-as-partners












4 comments:

  1. Hi Neketha,
    Firstly, I think it's really great that you have retained a partnership with your ex-husband. I'm sure that must take quite a bit of work to maintain, and requires a good deal of trust and communication. You must see how important it is for your son to see his parents collaborating on his development and well being.
    Secondly, I love the conscious decision you made as an adult to not have to agree with everyone's beliefs and opinions, but to respect them. This is so important in life. I find it particularly pertinent in my lifestyle where I meet people from all over the globe. When a set aside our differences, I find so many more commonalities and similarities in the things we enjoy doing for fun, the ways we parent, our opinions on education, etc. Our mutual respect of each other has enabled us to form strong relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neketha,
    It is great that you have such a great network of people that are there for you and your son. I love the connections you have with your parents, cousins, neighbors and your ex husband and his sister. Your son is growing up with so much love around him, I am sure he is going to be a great solid citizen because of the stability and the connections that he knows he can draw on. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Neketha,
    It is great that you have such a open communication with your son's teachers and school, it is crucial to demonstrate to your son the importance of school. I believe when the parent shows the teachers respect the child will follow. I also admire your positive relationship with your former husband, i know how easy it can be to be negative after a divorce but you have put your child first.
    Shanon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Neketha,
    It is great that you keep communication with your ex-husband! It is important to continue a positive relationship with the father of your son because of the great impact it will have on him in the future. I as well keep open communication with my ex-husband because of my daughter. She needs both parents, your son does as well. It is good to see that both parents can work together. Thank you for sharing such a rich reflection of the relationships that mean so much to you!
    Karla

    ReplyDelete