Saturday, January 31, 2015

My Connections To Play





“My Connections to Play”

 


When I was a child, play was not discussed because it was better known as a Reflex.  Generally if a child was not at school or having to complete chores, the reflex to them being at home was playing.  Play when I was a child was better known as a natural instinct for being a child. When I was a child play was highly encourage by people. We would play all day and not be tired, bored, hot or etc… And even when we were thirsty we would often drink from the outside water spout and continue to play as long as we were in the house before dusk.
 

Today, I feel that play is very different from the play in which I was engaged in as a child. I also feel that play, that is, “real play” is almost extinct and much like an endangered species.   My hope for today’s youth is that play will be taken more seriously and reincorporated back into society, within our communities, and school.  I feel that this would eliminate a lot of social stressors.  Many children are treated like caged animals and have no outlet.  I feel that we as a society have failed the children of our era.  I think more play would help with bullying, teen suicide, and cyber bullying (yes, technology has changed but, if our children were playing more and not on the internet as much, they would not have time to bully people), health and issues associated with the lack of exercise.  This blog post has encouraged me to promote a bring back “real play” in my community and city movement.
 


 
I believe that play has encourage me to be who I am today. Not to say that it was not happening but, bullying, and teen suicide was not as prevalent during my childhood to teenage years.  I attribute much of this to playing.  The children of my era also knew how to get along with one another as we were outside laughing and having fun all day.  No days, it is unfortunate that some children within neighborhoods who live not even 50 feet from one another, don’t even know the names of the children next door to them. Teachers and doctors often indicate that children need to be medicated for being too active, not being able to interact properly with other children, or climbing the walls in the classroom and at home.  Yet, these say children that we medicate with meds to slow them down, or send them to ISS(In school suspension) is a simply tactic to not be bother or address the problem with the lack of play and activities to release extra energy.  I believe play is to life as the lungs or to breathing.




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
References:
http://plumproductionsinc.com/images/children-playing-outside-quotes-5311.jpg

http://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/quote-play-is-often-talked-about-as-if-it-were-a-relief-from-serious-learning-but-for-children-play-is-fred-rogers-156832.jpg



3 comments:

  1. Neketha love your post!

    Today's favourite word for children is "bored" and is sometimes tempted to ask why? Though it seems they are surrounded with all of the latest technology devices I believe they are missing out on what we grow up with 'freedom to roam and explore". and have fun!

    It is so unfortunate that young people seem to be dealing with issues today that would was far removed from our everyday existance. Research indicates that play reduces mental stress on children but if children are not allowed to particpate in activities called play then we will be faced with children and young persons with many health concerns.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neketha,
    I loved your post as well. You made some very interesting comments about how children are treated like "caged animals". I agree because it seems as if many parents today would rather their child be in the house reading or on some kind of technology device than outside with their friends or neighbors running around and getting exercise. What good are parents doing by keeping their child in the house? The child is certainly not learning how to socialize and be a team player, these are important lessons children learn at a young age.

    Thanks
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You brought back so many memories of my childhood. I wished the children of today could enjoy the "real art of playing.

    ReplyDelete