Saturday, January 16, 2016

Creating Affirming Environments - 6358 Blog #1 Post


This week I explored ways in which to create learning environments that reflect the diversity of the children and families with whom I work.  Thus, I have decided to open my own Family Child Care home. Reflecting on what my setting would look like, I will have bright colors of Orange, Blue, and green. The desk, tables, shelves and book cases will be   with lots of black and pink accents in the room. child care  expand and deepen understanding and respect for diversity, and promote strong family-teacher relationships.
Imagine that you want to open your own Family Child Care Home. Reflecting on what my setting would look like, the school classrooms will have elements of bright colors, funny shapes, fun objects, and lots of books for reading. My environment will be bright and warm for the possibilities of encouraging open learning and comfort to strive to ensure that every child and family feels welcome and respected.  I think bright colors encourage a happy mood and encourages one’s mind to think freely and openly to learn and reflect self-learning. The toys, materials, and equipment you put out for children; the posters, pictures, and art projects you hang on the wall; and the types of furniture and how you arrange them all influence what children learn” (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010, p. 43).

Reference:

 

Derman-Sparks, L. & Edwards, J.O., (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education for Young Children


3 comments:

  1. Neketha,
    I like the colors you have chosen, they are soothing and also have some vibrancy with the pink and black. This can bring up natural conversation on "boy and girl" colors. Good thinking but not enough information on how you would arrange things to be conducive to what and how you want to teach.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neketha,
    I love the idea of bright colors. I believe that we want an inviting environment rather than one that will put us all to sleep. Also, I love the idea of the variety of books, I think that is a major part of any learning environment. I would suggest that you look at ways your families could enhance the classroom/home environment.
    DomD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neketha,
    I like the colors that you chose, they are eye catching. The room space you chose will give the children and opportunity to more freely. How would the areas be set up in the space that you chose?
    Kristal

    ReplyDelete