Saturday, December 5, 2015

6357 Wk 6 Blog: "We Don't Say Those Words in Class!"


A time when I reprimanded or tried to silence a child after he had pointed out someone they saw as different (“That man only has one leg!”) was in 2013, while at the hospital visiting my mom (who had just had a stroke), my son noticed a man outside in a wheelchair smoking.  My son was four years old at the time but, he asked the man why he had one leg and what happened to the missing one.  Before I could say be quiet the man said, that’s ok, I don’t mind.  Then, he told my son, I got it from smoking on these cancer sticks so, never smoke if you want to keep your legs and your health.
 
The messages that I might have communicated to my son from the gentleman’s response is that everyone makes mistakes and we are supposed to learn from them.  Therefore, he should never smoke like the man said if he wants to keep his legs. I also expressed to my son that although the man said it was ok, it is never nice to point at people that are different than us or make fun of them.
 

I think an anti-bias educator might have responded to support the child's (or classroom's) understanding by explaining that we are all created equally but have different features and it is not nice to point out or make fun of others that are different than us as we would not want anyone to treat us that way.

 

6 comments:

  1. Neketha,
    Good post and I totally agree with you that some children are quick to say or point to something that they see is different. And, I like that you explained to your son that we learn from our mistakes and we are different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neketha,
    Great example, children are quick to see discomforts and understand its implicit meaning. It was great the man took the time out to explain his situation about his leg and was open to it without being judge about it. To foster an open and safe environment, do not criticize children for noticing and asking questions about differences (Sparks, 2010). Enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. I'm the same way. first off, when I was younger, and before about 2 years ago my toes were different from others. children would say stuff about it, even family and instead of shutting them down, or allowing their parents to I would just explain what happened.
    Seeing that the man was able to explain what had happened and added the consequence of his doings was a teachable moment for your son. though it is not guarantee that your son will never pick up a cancer stick it is certain that that experience will be imbedded in him. He will always know that if he smokes he may end up with one leg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neketha,
    It is interesting how children are quick to notice differences. The man with one leg reminds me of my friend. She didn't mind talking with others about her handicap. She understood that children, sometimes, don't have a filter and used that moment to show that she is different but she also deserves respect. Great post!

    Salesha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naketha,
    Great post. I agree with you and definitely would say that was s teachable moment for your son to learn that people are different and people learn from their mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naketha,
    Great post. I agree with you and definitely would say that was s teachable moment for your son to learn that people are different and people learn from their mistakes.

    ReplyDelete