Saturday, November 1, 2014

EDUC 6160-9 Blog 1


Childbirth In Your Life and Around the World

 
How When Where What Why???????  These are questions we generally ask about people places, things and certain situations.

So, when evaluating the resources this week and the questions we normally ask ourselves, I was not surprised to read that in the United States almost 100% of births take place in a controlled and/or clinical setting. Thus, having a doctor or caregiver deliver their child in a medical facility.

 When I realized that outside of the United States the majority of births occur at home, I was not surprised because the U.S. is a country with more economical wealth therefore, women in the U.S. are generally more likely to get prenatal care and have their children in a medical facility as opposed to at home.  Furthermore, I learned that the impact of birth complications and postpartum depression on the developing newborn are far greater than I realized. Other stressors that surround birth that might influence a child's development are hunger, social or family issues and living conditions (home environment). A nurturing, happy, calm environment and support from friends and family are a great support and/or intervention surrounding a child's birth may foster healthy development.

 The birthing experiences that have been a part of your life are that I remained frustrated with my sister and husband about little everyday things and at one time it spiked my blood pressure.  I also remained sick because of an unknown gallbladder trouble which cause me to stay sick and unable to gain weight.   I have not directly witnessed a birth (even though there was a large mirror above the delivery bed and could see a majority of what was happening) I have not directly witnessed one directly however, it was my own. The memories and emotions that I connected with these personal birthing events is a beautiful, priceless, loving event that can’t be explained in just words.
 
 
Neketha

No comments:

Post a Comment